Quo Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems > Quo Application
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Root element is missing" and no maps!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Root element is missing" and no maps!
    Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:58am
I was using Quo on my laptop yesterday without problem, but when I first started Quo today I first got a dialog box saying "Root Element is Missing" and next it brought up the Welcome Screen and on the main window it said "No Maps are Installed!". I exited Quo and retstarted, but although I didn't get the "Root Element is Missing" dialog this time, I still got the Welcome Screen and "No Maps are Installed!". If I click on the "Maps" main menu item, nothing happens. What has happened to all my maps?? Help!!!
Rob - in the flatlands of East Anglia
Grega View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 12:40pm
It looks something is wrong with your installation of Quo v2. Did you do anything on your computer before Quo v2 stopped working?!

I suggest clean reinstall as per instructions on our forum:
http://forum.mapyx.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=243

Regards,
Grega
RobN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:07pm
I was using QUO 2.1.7, ACDsee Photo Manager and IE8. I shut the machine down overnight, restarted the next morning, tried to run QUO and got the error then no maps.
Since my post above I found the directory which Quo uses for installed maps (..My Documents\Quo2\maps) and it was EMPTY!Cry The directory structure was there but there was nothing in the folders. It seems like something happened when the "Root element not found" error occured that wiped my maps out.

I have now upgraded from Quo 2.1.7 to 2.2.0. and reinstalled all my tiles from the installation file download folder (which mercifully was intact). This was a painful process as I bought lots of tiles in ones and twos, and Quo restarts after each installation. I'm now praying this doesn't happen again. The "My Documents\Quo2\maps" directory is now added to my backup schedule. Can I assume that I can simply restore the "My Documents\Quo2\maps" directory from backup if it does happen again?
Grega View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:08pm
Yes. That is why Quo2 maps and data folders are inside MyDocuments.

Regards,
Grega
RobN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 11:00pm
ThanksOuchBig%20smile. I'm fascinated to know what could possibly have happened to my previously installed maps thoughConfused I certainly did not delete them and they're not in the Recycle Bin.  The only available possible clue is the QUO "Root element is missing" error.
Grega View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 7:23am
Maybe the files got corrupted. "Root element is missing" means that Quo can not read the "root" information from the file - so something is wrong with the file. So the file or files were not deleted, but probably got corrupted. Why? I don't know. But i'm not suprised - in all this years i've seen many strange things regarding Windows applications and files. So really the best way is to create backup of your Quo v2 maps and data (whole Quo2 folder under MyDocuments) and that's it.

Regards,
Grega
qc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 7:44pm
Just started Quo up for the first time for a few weeks, and I have got the dreaded "Root element is missing" error message as well. To the best of my knowledge I haven't done anything with my Quo maps, although I could well have updated Java or .net framework(?). Should I de install and re install Quo and if I do, how do I get access to my maps (sounds as though that could be a problem from some of the earlier responss)? Help....
Grega View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 7:16am
Hi,

which operating system do you have?
Which version of Quo v2 do you have?
Quo v2 - menu Help > View Log File... - paste the log here.

Thanks.

Regards,
Grega
qc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 11:32am
Grega,
Windows XP and sorry but have already started the de-install, although the downloaded set up file tells me it was 2.1.7.0. Where would the log have been stored, in case I can still get at it?
Quentin
Grega View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 12:02pm
Hi,

i suggest you do clean reinstall:
http://forum.mapyx.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=243
This will correct files (if some were corrupted) and updated Quo v2 to the latest version as well.

Regards,
Grega
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic